Monday, March 10, 2008

Blocked Websites in China

There are many websites that remain blocked in China. The government doesn't allow people to access many "free speech" sites like blogs, etc. But normally news sites like the New York Times or the BBC can be accessed.

I've been meaning to compile a list of all the sites I can't see and,below is a list of sites I haven't been able to access since I moved here in December.

  • blogspot.com/blogger.com (all blogs - I can't even view my own blog!)
  • Amnesty International
  • Human Rights Watch and basically any other website related to Human Rights
  • Wikipedia
  • Wordpress (all sites)
  • *Update: There is an article in today's news about some monks that were killed for protesting China's rule over Tibet. I'm unable to access the whole article. boo!! 8/14/08
I'm sure there are hundreds of other sites, I'll update this list as I come across others...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for compiling this big sis. every time we talk it seems you've found another site you can't access.

Mike said...

You may be unaware of the extent of the protests in China concerning the events in Tibet, government censorship being what it is.

Anonymous said...

Check out http://www.proxylord.com to access blocked web sites. It is very fast and secure.. Works on Youtube also!

Chris F. said...

From independent reports, there have been at least several hundred monks who have been killed. It would be wonderful to be able to overthrow the world's dictators in one fell swoop. They will get what is coming to them eventually.