Friday, December 21, 2007

Chinese Health Check - Communism At It's Best ?

Today was the day for my health check. Excellent, right? Not so much.

Well, I exaggerate a little - it wasn't so bad really. It was a very interesting experience though. In order for anyone to receive a residence permit to live in China for an extended period of time, you much go through a Health Check to prove that you don't have any infectious diseases like Typhoid, Cholera, Yellow Fever etc.

I wish I had been able to take some photos while I was there! Imagine a white building, plain with no color. Inside everyone is wearing the same clothing, face masks and hair "nets" covering their hair - all with very serious faces. I got the impression that smiling and friendliness wasn't allowed.

Step 1. Sign in with passport, photos and company certification #
Step 2. Change into a white robe top for examinations
Step 3. Blood Test
Step 4. X-Ray of Chest
Step 5. Ultrasound of your stomach and liver (no joke)
Step 6. ECG - To measure your heart rate
Step 7. Eye, Ear and Nose check
Step 8. General Health Exam (blood pressure, breathing, etc.)
Step 9. Change back into clothing
Step 10. Finished!! Pay and pray that you passed and will be allowed to stay in China!

During the process you aren't alone - you're basically being herded into each room along with many other non-chinese all wearing the same white robe and sporting the same confused look. It was awesome. ;-)

I'll let you know if I passed or not later on...

No comments: