Friday, July 25, 2008

You won't find this in the Chinese news...."hush money for greiving parents"

I'm getting ready to leave to head back to Shanghai, I've been in the USA for the last 2 weeks. I'm trying to get caught up on the news before I head out, luckily SFO has free wifi so I can stay connected literally until I step on the plane.

I just ran across this article on nytimes.com about the earthquake victims in China. I haven't seen too much in the Chinese news about the families of the children who died in schools, but I'm not surprised to see this article running in a western newspaper.

The little bit of information that has been shown in the Chinese news has talked a little bit about the children who died. Many children were in school when the earthquake hit, and many of the schools in the rural areas were not built according to code (for various reasons), or standards for earthquakes, so many of these school totally collapsed killing all of the children inside. I have seen a little bit about the angry parents who learned that the schools were built badly protesting in front of local and regional government offices, but from what I understand the government put a stop to the protests right away. Now it looks like they're trying to pay off the families to get them to stop speaking up about what happened to their children.

Click here to read the New York Times article

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/world/asia/24quake.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

No comments: